Demon King Dabura
From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
Demon King Dabura (魔王 ダーブラ, Maō Dābura; FUNimation "Demon King Dabura", Viz "Dabra") is a Demon.
His name is originally taken from the last half of the famous incantation "Abracadabra".
His title, "Demon King", is not to be confused with that of Piccolo Daimao.
Arrival on Planet Earth
Dabura was first seen when Son Goku, Son Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, and Kuririn were led to Babidi's Spaceship by Kibito and Supreme Kai to aid them in preventing Majin Buu's awakening. Babidi and Dabura were aware of their hiding place in the mountains nearby and, as it took a massive amount of energy to awaken Majin Buu, Babidi decided to use theirs; Dabura was ordered to kill all but Supreme Kai and the strongest three and lure the remainder inside the ship. Dabura obeyed and quickly charged the group and, with a single blast, killed Kibito. He then leaped into the air and spit on Kuririn and Piccolo, turning them to stone, before retreating back into Babidi's Spaceship, telling the brave Saiyans to trapse into their domain if they dared.
Dabura joined Babidi in a monitoring room and watched as first Vegeta easily killed Babidi's henchman Puipui and Goku then destroyed Yakon before Dabura himself emerged to confront Gohan. When first encountered, Goku mentioned that Dabura's battle power was comparable to that of Perfect Cell. Though initially it seemed that Gohan and Dabura were evenly matched, Goku corrected himself and stated that Dabura might be more powerful than he thought, with his usage of magic and several tricks.
During his battle with Gohan, Dabura took notice of Vegeta's poor temperament and his one-track mind for settling things with Goku. Dabura then retreated from the fight against Gohan in order to inform Babidi. Babidi quickly took advantage of that information and possessed Vegeta, but this was actually what Vegeta wanted all along in order to gain greater power and finally defeat Goku.
With Vegeta now battling Goku (after refusing to kill the Kai and Gohan, saying they were of no interest to him), Dabura stood with Babidi to fight against Supreme Kai and Gohan. Before they could start though, they were all shocked as the energy released in Vegeta and Goku's battle had already been enough to release Majin Buu, as both fighters were fighting at Super Saiyan 2, the form thought to be the pinnacle of Super Saiyans at the time, rapidly landing colossal amounts of damage.
Unleashing of Majin Boo
When Majin Boo emerged, Dabura was disappointed as it seemed that the fat being was nothing more than a useless imbecile. Majin Boo overheard this remark and attacked Dabura, quickly gouging him in the eyes and then kicking him into a mountain leaving him broken. Dabura did manage to recover somewhat though, and threw a magical spear through Majin Boo. He tried to convince Babidi that Majin Boo was uncontrollable and should be contained again but Babidi refuses to comply, and then told him that he was nothing more than a pawn, and like all pawns regardless of his loyalty or efficiency should be tossed away when not needed anymore. Majin Buu then retaliated against Dabura under Babidi's orders, turning him into a large cookie and eating him. This in turn reversed what he did to Piccolo and Krillin, restoring them to normal.
Yama punished Dabura in the afterlife by sending him to Heaven because, being a Demon, he would have enjoyed Hell too much. This is his final mention in the manga, though he makes several more appearances later in anime filler.
In the anime, Dabura is seen content in Heaven, repenting of his previous sins and looking back on them with remorse. He is accompanied by Bulma Brief, Son Chichi and Videl in their search for Gohan in the Other World. Here, he is consumed with joy and love which unnerves everybody near him.
He is last seen in Heaven with a wreath of flowers around his head picking flowers in a bouquet wandering around Heaven. Ironically enough, despite having become a pure soul himself in these anime filler episodes, he is not revived along with all those innocent souls who were killed by Boo and the villains, as Vegeta only specified that the evil ones be kept dead (in the manga, this presumably left him dead, as Vegeta himself suggested that the reason he made this specification was so that villains such as Babidi and Dabura would not return).
Dabura is playable in:
- Dragon Ball Z: Sūpā Butōden 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai: Another Road
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
He is a boss in:
Dabura's strength prior to becoming a Majin is unknown. He is quite powerful prior to becoming a Majin as the Supreme Kai, who states that he is stronger than Freeza, is himself afraid of Dabura before he becomes a Majin. After becoming a Majin, his power is in the same league as Cell. The manga seems to show he is stronger than Cell with Goku first believing him to be in Cell's league of power, but later stating, "He's a lot stronger than I thought." Dabura's precise strength is unknown as it is unknown whether Gohan is a Full Power Super Saiyan or a Super Saiyan 2 in the fight in which Dabura has a slight upper-hand on Gohan. If Gohan is in his SS2 form then that puts Dabura's power somewhere just around that of Perfect Cell and Super Perfect Cell.
- Afterimage Sorcery – An ability to move so quickly that an afterimage of the user is left behind. Although Goku, Kuririn, and Piccolo were all capable of performing the same – possibly not as advanced – move, Gohan still fell for the technique and Dabura blasted Gohan with the Evil Impulse, knocking him into a nearby lake and leaving the green robe around his outfit ruined.
- Darkness Sword Attack – Dabura's Ultimate Blast and a rushing attack where Dabura creates a sword using Magic Materialization and uses it to attack his opponent, slashing them multiple times then using it to knock them away. He then flies towards them with tremendous speed and immediately stops right in front of the opponent (just as they are recovering from the earlier attack), blasting them right in the face (with a rush Ki Wave, mimicing how he killed Kibito).
- Enerugiidan – Enerugiidan (エネルギー弾, Enerugiidan)
- Evil Flame – A stream of fire which is shot from the mouth. In the Budokai video game series, this attack is named Evil Blast.
- Evil Impulse – A large sphere of dark energy fired from one hand. Dabura used it against Gohan. It is named in the Budokai Tenkaichi video game series. It also appears in the Budokai video game series under the name Hell Blitz.
- Evil Spear – Dabura throws a spear into his opponent, stabbing them with it. Dabura used this technique in an attempt to kill Majin Boo.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Magic Materialization – Dabura can create weapons out of nothing. In his battle against Gohan, he conjures a sword (which Gohan breaks when caught in a struggle), and later creates a spear which he throws and impales Majin Boo with – to no effect, as the rubbery monster merely pulls it out whole and regenerates easily.
- Slicing Attack – Dabura slices through the air with his claw to create a streak of sharp energy lines that can slice nearly anything. Dabura used it against Gohan in "Pay to Win".
- Stone Spit – Dabura gathers saliva in his mouth and spits it onto an opponent, who then turns to lifeless stone. The victims are only released upon Dabura's death. If the statue is destroyed and not repaired, the victim will die when the curse is undone. However, the petrification can be negated by shedding the affected clothing the spit had landed on before it spreads to the victim's flesh, as Gohan ripped off his glove immediately after it started turning into stone. Likewise, if the spit landed on flesh, it would be logically possible to stop the process by separating the affected limb from the body before the petrification spreads. Dabura tries to use this as a last effort to kill Majin Boo, but the infantile creature simply dodges the saliva.
- Telepathy – Although this could be due to his connection with Babidi, he was able to contact his master through his mind from another world without anyone else noticing after he discovered the intense evil within Vegeta's heart and felt it could be used to convert him to their side. Piccolo, Kami, Guru, and the Kaios also possess this ability.
- Japanese dub: Ryūzaburō Ōtomo
- Ocean Group dub: Scott McNeil
- FUNimation dub: Rick Robertson
- German dub: Joerg Hengstler
- Latin American dub: Gabriel Pingarrón
- Portuguese dub: Vítor Rocha
- Brazilian dub: Luis Carlos de Moraes
- French dub: Frédéric Bouraly
- Piccolo Daimao is also a Demon King, although it is later revealed that he is in fact a Namekian who knew nothing of his true alien origins during the Namek Saga, making him merely a self-proclaimed Demon ruler. In addition, whenever Dabura fights against Devil Man in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the two get special dialogue intended only for each other. Devil Man says that he will rule the underworld instead of Dabura.
- As his battle power is similar to that of Cell, Dabura is stronger than Freeza, whom North Kaio once refers as the fiercest warrior in the universe. In light of this, it is possible that Dabura is the strongest fighter in the universe at one point (prior to Gohan's ascension to Super Saiyan 2), though Dabura may have achieved this level of strength only after stronger fighters had appeared. In addition, the Demon Realm of which he is king exists as a flip dimension to the Mortal Realm and therefore he might not have been counted or even known to the other Kaios at the time.
- In the anime, Dabura is the only villain, who dies evil, to be admitted into Heaven. This was a result of King Yemma's decision that Dabura would have enjoyed it in Hell.
- Just like Vegeta, Dabura had lost the 'M' on his forehead after he had died. The 'M' does appear on his forehead while in Yemma's office while he was being held by the ogres, but this is most likely an animation error. This suggests that he may have actually been somewhat "benevolent", though still fearsome and vicious as ever, during his Demon Realm lordship (this would also explain why he apparently seemed to have remorse for his actions in the anime).
- Dabura is one of the few characters to still retain their shape in food form (after being turned to food by Majin Boo) other than Majin Boo himself (and also Majoob in GT).
- Coincidentally, Dabura's English voice actor Rick Robertson voices Yomi, a Demon King, in Yu Yu Hakusho.
- Characters Collection
- Archived discussion found here at http://www.daizex.com/
- Archived discussion found here at http://www.daizex.com/
- Official website information at http://www2.dragonballz.com/
- Stated by Goku in the anime and manga
- Short bio at http://www.pojo.com/dragonball
- When Majin Boo is released, Dabura tries to kill him but is turned into a giant cookie and devoured by Majin Boo
- "Return to the Other World"