From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
Hell (地獄, Jigoku; FUNimation "Home for Infinite Losers") is a region in the Next World.
Hell was where evil characters (and sometimes, as in the case of Piccolo, Son Goku, and Pikkon, protagonists) go after they died. Hell was never actually shown in the manga, however, it was shown several times throughout the Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT anime series. A version of Hell was also shown in Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn. Hell was a mountainous area located beneath the Serpentine Road. The most distinguishing feature shown was Bloody Pond which, true to its name, was apparently composed of blood. This lake would later be semi-frozen by Janemba and used to encase Goku in Fusion Reborn. Often, the dead members of the Ginyu Special Corps (and on one occasion Cell) were knocked into Bloody Pond. There was also Needle Mountain, a spiky mountain shown in Fusion Reborn and a couple of episodes of Dragon Ball Z.
Hell was not depicted as torturing its inhabitants (indeed, there was even an amusement park as seen in "Goz and Mez"), although villains would be beat up by Pikkon (Grand Kaio's prized fighter and one of the most powerful dead fighters on Grand Kaio's World) and locked in a prison cell for a short time if they caused trouble. The exception was in Dragon Ball GT when Freeza and Cell sent Goku to an area below Hell where Enma tortured and froze Goku (after which he escaped because he was not dead).
In the original censored run of the English dub of Dragon Ball Z, Hell was known as HFIL. This acronym was stated to stand for Home For Infinite Losers. This change was made to avoid references which may have been considered inappropriate by the producers at the time. In later seasons of the censored English dub, the name of the character Mr. Satan was changed to "Hercule" for similar reasons. The term "HFIL" is used as a running joke by some fans of the series, who intentionally use phrases such as "What the HFIL?" in reference to it. In the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball GT, it is referred to as the Underworld or Hades.
In the Vegeta Saga, Goku fell off of Snake Way and into Hell. After beating Goz and Mez, the Ogres in charge of Hell in a test of strength and speed, however, they helped him return to King Yemma's office so he could continue on Snake Way to receive King Kai's training. Goku returned there again with Pikkon in "Warriors of the Dead" to take care of the enemies Cell, Freeza, and the Ginyu Force, who had managed to take over Hell. During the fight with Kid Boo, the ogres were seen in Hell watching it, as well as Cell, Freeza, Cold, Recoome, Burter, Jeice, Guldo, Dr. Gero, Appule, and Babidi. The edited version excluded all these scenes (for unknown reasons) except for the first scene, which took place in "Vegeta's Respect".
Most of the battle with Janemba in Fusion Reborn takes place in Hell, although it is heavily distorted by Janemba's barrier at the time.
During the Super Android 17 Saga, Goku travels into a large cave within Hell where, yet again, he must defeat Cell and Freeza.
Hell appears in Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, where it's appearance is shown drastically different from how it appeared before. In this appearance Hell appears as a forest full of fairies, known as the Angels of Hell, and stuffed animals playing music. Also unlike before, no villains are shown to retain their bodies (as it was in the original manga), with Frieza, who is left trapped in a cocoon hanging from a tree, merely being a spirit since his physical body was destroyed
- Count Drac - a vampire seen in Fusion Reborn. He was named in the credits.
- Devil Man - Although it was never confirmed, he states numerous times that he came from Hell, and lives there.
- Metallitron - Android enforcer who most likely killed several people.
- Buyon - Tried to eat Goku and Android 8. Killed by Goku
- Murasaki - Red Ribbon Army Ninja who tried to kill Goku and Android 8.
- Dark - Red Ribbon Army Captain.
- Blue - Red Ribbon Army General, and mass murderer. He executes his own soldiers for failure, cowardice, and for disciplinary measures. Killed by Tao
- Yellow - Red Ribbon Army Captain. Killed by Goku
- Black - Shot Commander Red in the head; attempted to use the Red Ribbon Army and Dragon Balls to conquer the world.(UTC) Killed by Goku
- Tambourine - Demon-like Namekian spawn of Piccolo Daimao. Murdered Krillin, Goku's Original Flying Nimbus Cloud, Panpoot, King Chappa, Man-Wolf, Giran, Bacterian, Nam, and countless other martial artists. Tried to kill Goku, Yamcha, and Yajirobe. Killed by Goku
- Cymbal - Demon-like Namekian spawn of Piccolo Daimao. Tried to kill Goku & Yajirobe. Killed by Yajirobe
- Drum - Demon-like Namekian spawn of Piccolo Daimao. Tried to kill Tien Shinhan & Goku. Killed by Goku
- Piano - Demon-like Namekian spawn of Piccolo Daimao. Technically shouldn't be in hell (as all those killed by King Piccolo end up in limbo (however seeing how he is Daimao's offspring this may not apply to him).
- Ginger - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men. Killed by Goku
- Nicky - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men and kidnapper of Gohan. Killed by Goku
- Sansho - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men. Killed by Piccolo
- Raditz - Killed a farmer. Tried to kill his brother Goku, nephew Gohan, Piccolo, and everyone on Earth; fought with King Yemma after dying. Was also partially responsible for the destruction of Planet Shikk and along with its inhabitants.Killed by Piccolo
- Saibamen - Responsible for killing Yamcha. Tried to kill Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, and Tien. Used as foot soldiers by the Saiyans & World Trade Organization.
- Nappa - Killed Tien, Piccolo, and everyone in East City; Caused the death of Chiaotzu and tried to eliminate Krillin and Gohan before being defeated by Goku and killed by Vegeta. He is seen tearing through an entire Naval fleet and an air force. He was responsible for ravaging several planets as a member of Frieza's army. He was also responsible for the destruction of Planet Shikk and its inhabitants along with Raditz and Vegeta.
- Hoi - An Evil Wizard. Killed by Hirudegarn
- Dr. Kochin - An Evil Scientist
- Mez - Works as a staff member keeping Hell orderly.
- Goz - Works as a staff member keeping Hell orderly.
- Ebifurya - Worked for Dr. Wheelo, tried to kill Goku, Krillin, and Gohan.
- Kishime - Worked for Dr. Wheelo, tried to kill Goku, Krillin, and Gohan.
- Misokatsun - Worked for Dr. Wheelo, tried to kill Goku.
- Bio-Man - Worked for Dr. Wheelo, tried to kill Gohan and Oolong, Nearly killed Piccolo, kidnapped Master Roshi and Bulma, and nearly killed the latter to coerce Roshi to come.
- Dr. Wheelo - An evil mad scientist that condudcted many evil experiments and tried to steal Goku's body as well as trying to kill him along with his friends and family which included Master Roshi, Krillin, Piccolo, Bulma and Gohan.
- Freeza - The evil galactic tyrant and emperor who was responsible for billions of deaths, including the genocide of the Saiyans. He controlled a vast army and empire who do his bidding. Murdered King Vegeta, Bardock, Cargo (in the manga), Vegeta, Dende, Guru (shorten life span), and Krillin. Tried to kill Goku, Gohan,Nail, Piccolo, and Future Trunks. Killed by Future Trunks
- Sorbet - a leader of the Galactic Frieza Army he also wish Frieza back. Killed by Frieza blast when Vegeta deflects it
- Tagoma - An elite soldier of the Galactic Frieza Army he also Collection the dragon balls to help revive Frieza. Killed by Frieza
- Shisami - An elite soldier of the Galactic Frieza Army. Killed by Frieza
- Banana - one of Frieza man. Killed by Krillin
- Sūi - one of Frieza man. Killed by Gohan
- Raspberry - one of Frieza man Killed by a Crab
- Zarbon - Frieza's right-hand man, he was responsible for killing millions alongside Dodoria, including Namekians. He also tried to kill Vegeta. Killed by Vegeta
- Dodoria - Frieza's henchman, he was responsible for the deaths of millions alongside Zarbon, including Namekians. He was also responsible for the deaths of Bardock's crew, (Fasha, Tora, Shugesh,and Borgos). Killed by Vegeta
- Blueberry - one of Frieza man. Killed by a Crab
- Cui - Frieza's underling, bullied Vegeta and most likely killed thousands. Known to have destroyed a planet and tried to kill Bon. In command of Frieza planet #79 where Vegeta heals before leaving for Namek. Killed by Vegeta
- Guldo - The smallest member of the Ginyu force and tried to kill Gohan and Krillin. He was also responsible for deaths across the galaxy. King Kai invited him over to his planet to fight Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu, and Chiaotzu defeated him and sent him falling to Hell. Killed by Vegeta
- Recoome - One of the members of the Ginyu Force and was responsible for the deaths of many people of several races. Nearly killed Gohan and Krillin he was defeated by Goku but Killed by Vegeta While he was unconscious. he Was invited to King Kai's planet to fight Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu, but was defeated by Yamcha, sending him falling into Hell and bellyflopping into the Bloody Pond.
- Burter - Another member of the Ginyu force and just as responsible as his comrades he was defeated by Goku but Killed by Vegeta while unconscious. he Was invited to King Kai's planet to fight Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu, and Tien defeated both him and Jeice, sending them falling into Hell.
- Jeice - Another member of the Ginyu Force, most likely responsible for deaths across the galaxy. After he was killed by Vegeta, he was invited to King Kai's planet to fight Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu. Tien defeated both him and Burter, sending them falling into Hell.
- Ginyu- The Leader of the Ginyu force, most likely responsible for deaths across the galaxy. Killed some of his own recruits. Was killed by Buu.
- Appule - Frieza's underling. Killed by Vegeta. Was seen watching Kid Buu's battle against Goku.
- King Cold - Frieza's equally evil father who was most likely responsible for millions of deaths across the galaxy. killed by Future Trunks
- Salza - Member of Cooler's Armored Squadron, likely responsible for several deaths. Destroyed most of the Senzu Beans when Goku was severely injured. Nearly killed most of the Z Fighters before he was killed by Piccolo.
- Doore - Member of Cooler's Armored Squadron. Killed by Piccolo
- Neiz - Member of Cooler's Armored Squadron. Killed by Piccolo
- Cooler - Frieza's older brother, was also responsible for millions of deaths. Killed by Goku
- Spice - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men. Killed by Gohan
- Vinegar - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men. Killed by Gohan
- Mustard - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men. Killed by Gohan
- Salt - One of Garlic Jr's right-hand men. Killed by Gohan
- Dodoria's Elite - Responsible for mudering Fasha, Shugesh, Borgos, and assaulting Bardock. Killed by Bardock
- Android 13 - An Android created by Dr Gero's supercomputer. Killed by Goku
- Android 19 - Dr. Gero's right-hand henchman who was responsible for the deaths of a few humans as well as nearly killing the heart-stricken Goku. He returned from Hell in GT. Killed by Vegeta
- Dr. Gero (Android 20) - Responsible for numerous evil deeds including the deaths of humans as a member of the Red Ribbon Army (possibly even before he became an Android). Killed by Android 17, and was seen watching the fight with Kid Buu.
- Paragus - Broly's father and a Saiyan who attempted to kill the Z Warriors using a comet. He was also implied to have used Broly to wipe out most of the South Galaxy soon after controlling him with the ring, thus making him responsible for the deaths of millions of beings. Killed by Broly
- Future Android 17 - He's evil in the future. Killed by Future Trunks
- Future Android 18 - She's evil in the future. Killed by Future Trunks
- Future Cell - he was in Future Trunks Timeline and was Killed by Future Trucks in his imperfect form.
- Dr. Raichi - a Tuffle scientist. Killed by Vegeta
- Hatchiyack - One of Dr. Raichi's men who attacks Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Future Trunks and Piccolo.
- Amond - Space pirate who worked under Turles. Killed by Goku
- Daiz - Space pirate who worked under Turles. Killed by Goku
- Lakasei - Space pirate who worked under Turles. Killed by Goku
- Rasin - Space pirate who worked under Turles. Killed by Goku
- Cacao - Space pirate who worked under Turles. Killed by Goku
- Turles - A sadistic Saiyan that attempted to corrupt the earth by planting the Tree of Might as well as attempting to kill Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu and Icarus. Killed by Goku
- Wings - One of Lord Slug's men. Killed by Piccolo
- Angila - One of Lord Slug's men. Killed by Goku
- Commander Zeeun - One of Lord Slug's men. Killed by Lord Slug
- Medamatcha - One of Lord Slug's men. Killed by Goku
- Cell - Android creature responsible for the deaths of millions, even Goku (he died when Cell blew himself up) and the entire Royal Army. He plotted several times to destroy the Earth and its solar system, as well as all the residents. Also killed Future Trunks twice. Killed by Gohan
- Cell Junior - Cell offspring. Killed by Gohan
- Lord Slug - Tried to kill the Z Warriors and probably killed many people. Although he was absent from GT, he made a brief appearance in Fusion Reborn. Killed by Goku
- Bujin - Galactic Space Pirate, responsible for deaths all around the galaxy. Never seen in GT. Killed by Gohan
- Kogu - Galactic Space Pirate, responsible for deaths all around the galaxy. Never seen in GT. Killed by Future Trunks
- Bido - Galactic Space Pirate, responsible for deaths all around the galaxy. Never seen in GT. Killed by Gohan
- Zangya - Bojack's female team member, responsible for deaths all around the galaxy. Never seen in GT. Killed by Bojack
- Bojack - Evil space pirate, responsible for deaths across the galaxy. Never seen in GT. Killed by Gohan
- Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, destroyed hundreds of planets and millions of beings, including Paragus, his own father (some of which were while he was under the influence of Paragus's ring). Later began to wreak havoc in Hell, prompting Goku and Pikkon to stop him (or at the very least calm him down).
- Spopovich - Evil human turned into Babidi's minion. Beat Videl to within an inch of her life. Pierced Gohan in order to steal his energy. Killed by Babidi
- Yamu - Evil human turned into Babidi's minion. Pierced Gohan in order to steal his energy. Killed by Pui Pui
- smitty - a evil human. Killed by Super Buu
- Van Zant - a evil human. Killed by Evil Buu
- Pui Pui - One of Babidi's minions, most likely responsible for thousands of deaths in his quadrant of the universe. Killed by Vegeta
- Yakon - Evil monster/warrior under Babidi, responsible for vile deeds across the galaxy. He is seen devouring two Majin Grunts. Killed by Goku
- Bibidi - the father of Babidi a evil Wizard. Killed by Supreme Kai
- Babidi - Bibidi's son, evil wizard and mass murderer who controls others and has them do his bidding. Killed by Majin Buu
- Vegeta - Sent to Hell after his attempt to kill Majin Buu by self-destruction. Later he is given his body back and is sent to Earth by King Yemma in order to fight Super Buu. He is then revived by the Namekian Dragon Balls. (note: He is only ever witnessed to be in Hell in the movie Fusion Reborn, apparently did not get to keep his body, according to what Vegeta and Goku say in the Needle Mountain)
- Saike - A teenage Oni living in Hell. He works in the spirit laundry room.
- Janemba - Created from the evil inside people's souls, spent most of his life in Hell, lured down there to fight Goku. Was killed by Gogeta, though whether or not he continued to exist after his death is unknown; as he was merely a manifestation of evil possessing an ogre, who is returned to normal with Janemba's death.
- The Dictator - An evil dictator modeled after the real dictator Adolf Hitler in the Movie Fusion Reborn.
- Dr. Myuu - Evil Machine Mutant scientist. Killed by Baby
- General Rilldo - Machine Mutant that killed thousands. Killed by Goku Pan Trunks
- Baby - A tuffle Machine Mutant parasite was responsible for killing millions of people. He even tried to kill the Saiyans (even Goku's family) as well. Killed by Goku
- Piccolo - Trapped there as of the end of GT; he aids the ogres in keeping the villains under control; it is ironic he ends up working in Hell as he was once considered a demon; is one of the few good guys in Hell (though Goku hints he may be allowed into Heaven again someday). Interestingly, the first time he died, despite initially having an evil heart, he was allowed into King Kai's planet to train anyway. In the end, he becomes a guardian of Hell, keeping the residents in order (which suits Piccolo just fine). It is interesting to note King Yemma jokingly threatened to send Kami to hell when he died (Piccolo is fused with Kami) during the meeting about Goku travel on Snake Way to King Kai's planet for training.
- Hell Fighter 17 - Creation of Dr. Mu and Dr. Gero. Almost killed all of the Z Warriors when fused with Android 17 in the form of Super 17. Originated in Hell, as Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu had created him while in Hell. Killed by Goku
- Also many evil earthlings were killed by Buu and were not revived by Porunga, as Dende only revived the good victims. Though never seen or mentioned in Hell, it is likely that these include deranged gunmen, Smitty and Van Zant, who killed many innocent people and were killed by Super Buu and Evil Buu, respectively. It is unknown if the Shadow Dragons die or not, as Nuova Shenron was once killed by Syn, and then returned when given the appropriate energy.
- Goku - Has visited Hell a few times. Notably when he fell from Snake Wa] on his way to King Kai, also to fight Janemba in Fusion Reborn and when he fought Cell and Freeza in the Super 17 Saga. Visited hell for the last time to bid Piccolo farewell before infusing himself with the dragon.
- Pikkon - Has visited hell on at least one occasion, when Grand Kai sent him to stop Cell and Frieza from causing trouble, and easily defeated Cell, Freeza, and King Cold. Though never seen, it is implied that he went with Goku to fight Broly in Hell.