From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
Planet Namek (ナメック星, Namekku-sei) is a planet in the North Galaxy.
Planet Namek once had beautiful meadows. In 261 Age, a horrible climate shift wiped out all of the Namekians except for Grand Elder and a few powered-up Namekians who had been exiled earlier. One Namekian, the child of Katas and a gifted child of the Dragon Clan, was sent to Planet Earth as a child to ensure his survival. Grand Elder believed himself to be the last Namekian alive until he heard that the son of Katas had made it to Planet Earth safely. Fortunately, Grand Elder was able to re-populate the planet – Namekians reproduce asexually – giving birth to 109 more Namekians. Grand Elder's children began re-building the planet, especially the lush vegetation that had been destroyed during the climate shift.
Invasion by Freeza
Main article: Battle on Planet Namek
During the Namek Saga, Planet Namek was terrorized by Freeza and his Freeza's Force. The planet was ultimately destroyed by Freeza as a last-ditch effort to kill Son Goku in their battle during the Freeza Saga.
All of the Namekians who had been killed by Freeza and his henchmen, not including the deaths caused by Vegeta, were brought back to life and transported to Planet Earth. The Namekians lived on Planet Earth for roughly 260 days before being resettled on New Planet Namek.
- Grand Elder
- Nameless Namekian
- Polunga – Only when summoned using the Namek Dragon Balls.
Main article: Dragon Clan
The Dragon Clan was a family of Namekians who had the power to create Dragon Balls. Grand Elder and Katas were members of this clan. Katas' son, Nameless Namekian, was also a member by blood relation. Since only Grand Elder and Nameless Namekian had survived the catastrophic climate shift that nearly wiped out the Namekian race, all Namekians had the power to create Dragon Balls because they were all sons of either Grand Elder or Nameless Namekian.
- Planet Namek has three suns, therefore it is never night time.
- A Namekian year is much shorter than an Earth year, at 130 days long, as shown when the Namekians are reviving the Z Warriors who had died fighting against Nappa.
- A large number of episodes were set on Planet Namek (episodes 44-107). This drew criticism and gave rise to the popular Internet meme "Are they still on Namek?".
- Planet Namek is the only planet in the entire anime (filler or otherwise) to explode, but not instantaneously. All other planets whose destruction is actually displayed, such as that of Planet Earth during the Kid Boo Saga and Planet Vegeta during the Genocide of the Saiyans, typically explode instantly.
- Planet Namek is also the only major planet in the anime that, once blown up, is not restored by the Dragon Balls.