Legendary Super Saiyan (transformation)
From Dragon Ball Encyclopedia, the ''Dragon Ball'' wiki
Legendary Super Saiyan (でんせつ の スーパー サイヤ人, Densetsu no Sūpā Saiya-jin; Literally meaning "Legendary of Super Saiyan") is a unique and very rare Super Saiyan transformation rather than just a title. The result is a Super Saiyan with a seemingly endless supply of energy.
Legendary Super Saiyans' appearance is quite distinguishable from the regular forms of Super Saiyan. Legendary Super Saiyans' hair color is greenish-yellow. When he reappears in Dragon Ball Z: Broly: Second Coming, his hair color has a slightly greenish-yellow tint. Much less of a tint than in Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan due to the fact that he is no longer under the control of his father, Paragas.
In this form, Broly's pupils and irises become seemingly invisible, making him look much more maniacal than he already is. The most noticeable difference between the form of the Legendary Super Saiyan and the regular Super Saiyan is the body size. When Broly transforms into the Legendary Super Saiyan, his body grows in height and his muscle mass greatly increases, making it similar in appearance to the Ultra Super Saiyan transformation. However, unlike the Ultra Super Saiyan form, Broly's size does not affect his speed.
Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
The Legendary Super Saiyan appeared in Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan. Broly was the Legendary Super Saiyan, a warrior that tales told was truly the strongest Super Saiyan in history. Broly's final transformation put him in a class of his own. Goku was contacted by King Kai to help against a Saiyan who was destroying the entire South Galaxy: Goku teletransports himself on New Vegeta where he finds the other Z fighters. It's here that Broly breaks the control of his father and transforms.
Usage and power
In this form, Broly's power, speed, strength, energy, and endurance increase drastically, far exceeding the power of all the Z Warriors at the time they fought him, and continues to do so steadily as long as he remains in the form. Since the power level in this form is so gigantic, Piccolo stated that Broly's Ki can be felt all the way from Kami's lookout. Broly has been shown to take extremely powerful attacks without so much as flinching. For example, in his first appearance, Broly fought and completely dominated Son Goku and Son Gohan in their Full Power Super Saiyan forms, Vegeta and Future Trunks Brief in their Ascended Super Saiyan forms, and Piccolo in his Super Namekian state, all at the same time with his opponents being unable to hurt him in the least. Even a Super Kamehameha from Goku at point blank range failed to inflict any damage to Broly. Even a fearsome warrior like Vegeta was terrified by Broly who legends say is the most powerful Saiyan ever. It was only after everyone donated their powers to Goku that he was able to focus all of their energy into a single punch, (successfully reopening the stab wound in Broly's stomach that he received as a baby when King Vegeta tried to execute him) and nearly killing him. In his second appearance, Broly goes head to head with Super Saiyan 2 Gohan and easily overpowers him. However, Gohan still puts up a better fight than he did last time, and even one of his blows managed to hurt Broly enough for him to be able to escape Broly's grip. Broly is only then defeated with the combined help from Gohan, Goku, Goten, and Trunks Brief. Broly's power is gigantic enough to destroy effortlessly entire planets or even a whole galaxy: at the start of the movie Broly is shown destroying an entire galaxy ( but is unknown if he does it in a period of times or with a single attack). Just by flying, Broly is capable of destroying the soil he passes by. The extend of his power is such that when transforming the sky and the environment around change there colour three times. Violent earthquakes also take place. Broly also shows an incredible strength: he crashes his father's space pod and throws it against the comet which was thousands of miles away. As the Legendary SSJ, Broly is strong enough to push Goku and Trunks against many buildings destroying them in the process. The Legendary SSJ also possesses also immense durability: in fact he states that not even the explosion of the planet will not be able to damage him. Broly is not even killed when he is hit by a comet which destroys the planet in seconds. Not even a full power Kamehameha from Goku fazes him neither Vegeta's kicks and punches.
Broly's physical and energy attacks are also unique. In terms of physical attacks, he often uses clotheslines, crushing moves, and grabs to overpower his opponents rather than lots of fast and powerful punches and kicks like most other fighters in the series use. His energy attacks are all a green shade in color and there are three main types that he uses: a single sphere of energy, a large number of energy spheres being fired at once, and a compact energy sphere that, upon hitting his target, rapidly grows into an enormous energy bomb of huge destructive power. Broly uses and controls the first version to make it very difficult for his opponent to escape from it, the second version to destroy cities, and the third and most powerful version to destroy planets or to counter his opponents' attacks.
- Every time Broly transforms into his Legendary Super Saiyan form, he causes the sky and the environment to change color twice, often ending in a gray/dark blue look.
- There are still many arguments as to who really is "the Super Saiyan of legend" (not the suggested form). It is obvious that Broly is the so called "Legendary Super Saiyan" because of his odd, yet astounding, power. On the other hand, Goku reaches almost all of the known levels of a Super Saiyan (apart from Legendary Super Saiyan for obvious reasons) and is referred to as the "legendary Super Saiyan" many times. Many different stories have been told about the true legend, some very different from others.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, the legend of the Super Saiyan is mentioned again and Broly is believed to be the Legendary Super Saiyan due to Goku saying, "The Legendary Super Saiyan, a powerful warrior that appears every 1,000 years".
- Contrary to popular belief, during the Frieza Saga Vegeta does not state that a Super Saiyan appears every 1000 years, but rather that the last one appeared 1000 years ago (3000 in the English dubs). It was mentioned, however, by Goku in Shin Budokai.
- In some video games (starting in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast), Legendary Super Saiyan Broly can transform into a Super Saiyan 3 while retaining all of his "Legendary" traits. Along with Goku in the Japanese dub stating that the form was "Legendary Super Saiyan 3", many fans have considered this form a true Legendary Super Saiyan 3 form.